Ofe akwu recipe also known as banga soup or banga stew is one of the recipes I can take several times and not get bored.
If you are in the same category of ofe akwu recipe lovers, gather here let’s have a meeting. LOL!
This is a traditional recipe originated from the eastern part of Nigeria, Anambra state to be precise.
Ofe akwu recipe is never missed in any event organized in Anambra State.
This is a very delicious and appetizing recipe you would always want to make.
People from Southern Nigeria enjoy this recipe with starch, while the Easterners mostly enjoy with white boiled rice.
This is made with palm fruit concentrate, the step to cook banga soup is easy and can be customized to your taste.
The disadvantages of banga soup is that, you cannot enjoy it cold, it always best to be taken hot.
This recipe can be taken as soup and stew. There are several soup and stew close substitute you can go for in place of ofe akwu, such as ogbono soup, Afang soup, efo riro, egusi soup, pepper soup, okra soup, tomato stew, carrot stew and the rest of them.
Continue reading as I share how to prepare ofe akwu Igbo style.
To Make Ofe Akwu Recipe | Banga soup
- 3 custard cups Palm fruits
- 1 sizeable Ice fish
- Scent leaves enough for flavour
- 1 cup Crayfish not grounded
- Fresh pepper to taste
- 2 small onions
- 3 sizeable Bonga fish
- 3 Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- Local spices (see how the local spices look like and the quantity used in the video below)
- Wash the palm fruit, put in the pot, add water to cover the palm fruit and cook for 20 to 25 minutes on medium heat.
- Transfer to a sieve to drain water, put in a mortar, pound, add water, mix to help extract the concentrate.
- Wash the ice fish with salt, add hot water to harden to avoid the fish from going into pieces, put the fish in the pot add little water and season with onion, salt and seasoning cube, cook for 5 minutes.
- Grind the crayfish, debone the bonga fish, coarsely blend the pepper, chop the onions, roast and grind the local spice, wash and shred the scent leaves and set all aside.
- Put the palm fruit concentrate in the pot, apply heat, pour in the ice fish stock, add bonga fish, crayfish, local spices, pepper, stir and cover until it thickens.
- Add the ice fish, seasoning cube, salt to taste, cover and leave to boiled for 15 minutes.
- Add the scent leaves and leave for 5 minutes.
Hope this post was helpful?
Leave a comment in the comment section below to share your thoughts.
Below is the practical video of how to prepare ofe akwu.
Have a great day!