Today, I will be sharing with you how I made this perfect sponge cake without oven and cake mixer.
Many believed that for a cake to come out perfectly fine you must bake with an oven.
If you have an oven, good and fine but if don’t have or planning to get one, the good news is that you can make a perfect sponge cake without oven or sand, yes, you heard me well.
For some, when they hear cake without oven, the next thing that comes to their minds is sand.
Yes, you can bake with sand, but you need to be extra carefully not to allow it get into the cake because no one will enjoy cake full of sand, if you bake for commercial purposes, it then means it will make you lose your customers and that wouldn’t be a pleasant experience.
I’ve been baking my cakes without an oven for 3 years now, not that I don’t use oven, I used it not often, I alternate, reasons was that if am not too sure of the quantity of my gas in the cylinder, I make use of my stove.
I know for some of us, what will be going through your minds, especially for those that want to bake more than one cake at the same time, yes ovens are convenient when it comes to baking more than one cake, am not disputing that truth, another good news is that you can still bake more than one cake at the same time without oven.
I make cakes for commercial purposes, I bake wedding cakes, wedding cakes we all know are tiered cakes.
Also read: Make Best Nigerian Egg Rolls
Now the question is, how to make a perfect sponge cake without oven? It’s simple! Place a dry pot on the lighted stove, put a gas cooker stand or empty tin tomato cups using it as a stand to place the baking pan.
For tiered cakes, you can use either small or medium empty tin tomato cup as a stand.
Make use of a very large pot depending on the number of cakes you want to bake.
The size of cake will determine the size of pot to use, using your initiative. Is that all? Yes! That’s it!
For the cake mixer, improvise with a bowl and wooden stick.
Sponge cakes are cakes usually baked using wheat flour,sugar, fat and eggs with baking powder as the raising agent. It can also be called plain cake.
It is usually used for birthdays and other celebrations
There are things that should be done for a cake to come out perfectly fine, whether baking with or without oven, so I want us to get this.
This can happen even when you use oven, before conclusions will be drawn. So we need to get things right from the beginning.
Factors you should consider in cake making
- Measurement:This is a very important factor to be considered for your cake to come out well,depending on the type of cake, putting the ingredients in the right proportion.
- Mixing: how you mix your cake can make or mar your cake. Proper mixing will make your cake come out without having dip spread holes. Too avoid spread holes in your cake, mixing the cake batter should be done in one direction, either close wise or anti clock wise provided you mix in one direction, so choose the direction that will work best for you.
- Heat: If the heat is high,the cake tend to come out hard, to ensure that this does not happen to your cake, bake your cake on medium heat, if the heat is low the cake comes out soggy and I know you wouldn’t like that.
- Timing:At the moment you start perceiving the smell of your cake, it indicates that the cake is calling for checks lol! From that moment, start keeping close watch to avoid your cake getting burnt. These are the most important factors you should consider to baking that yummy cake.
Perfect Sponge cake without oven
- 250g All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cap butter scotch, vanilla or any flavour of choice
- 5 medium eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50g powdered milk flavour
- 2 leveled teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 leveled teaspoon powdered preservative
- 200g Margarine
1. In a dry bowl,sift the flour,baking powder, preservative,add the grated nutmeg and powdered milk to flour mixture, and mix all the dry ingredients together,set aside.
2.Put the butter in an empty dry bowl, mix until it softens and becomes very light.
3. Add the granulated sugar and mix until it turns white,looks creamy and fluffy.
4.Add the flavor and mix for evenly.
5. Add the egg mixture and mix in one direction on medium speed until well mixed, add the flour mix little at a time and mix in one direction on each addition, till well incorporated.
6. Prepare the baking pan by rubbing butter all over the inside, and dust with flour, scoop the cake batter into prepared cake pan. Greasing the pan with butter is to avoid the cake from getting stuck in the pan after baking.
7. Preheat the pot for 5minutes on medium heat, after 5minutes put the cake and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the cake. small sized takes less time.
8. Leave to cool, then, bring out from the baking pan.
The perfect sponge cake baked without oven is ready!
Note; when you perceive the smell of the cake, it’s an indication it’s calling for checks, start keeping close watch, until its well done. To ensure its done,dip a knife or tooth pick into the cake, if it comes out smooth, it means it’s well done.
Watch the practical video below on how to make easy sponge cake without oven.
See you soonest!